Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Fantastic World of Film Finance!

At this moment in time, as I write this, as these words are hitting the paper, we are roughly 6 weeks from day one of principal photography for Meet Jane Doe. And do you want to know the number one question I hear on a daily basis? The one point that people are dying to know the answer to? "Do you have all your financing in place?" I hear it from crew members wondering what kind of paycheck will be attached to all their hard work. I hear it from other filmmakers that are just plain curious. And I hear it from every single new person I meet and tell them I am making a movie.

What a loaded question. The short answer is not yet. The long answer is much more complicated. Well, not so much complicated as it is uncertain. Call me a fruity nut cake (everyone does anyway), but I honestly believe that I would not have been given this opportunity that is in front of me if it were not meant to be made. I wouldn't have written an amazing script. I wouldn't have attracted a cast and crew that is of the caliber I have on board. What a cruel beast fate would be if it were to dump all this good fortune in my lap and then just rip it away from me. No, the funding is there. And in the last three days I have been given every reason to believe that funding will be completed in the coming weeks. It seems everywhere I go these days there is a new lead on a new funding source - our bank has a client who is a filmmaker and he thinks he would be interested in backing our project, a business acquaintance has a co-worker who is a producer with money and is looking for a film project, our attorney has interested clients, a crew member talked us up on set and discovered that the man she was talking to is Mr. Moneybags and he wants more info, and those are just a few examples! No, fate would not dare dangle these juicy carrots in front of my face if it were not meant to be. While most people are lucky to get one lead, we have several.

So where does that put me now? Investor wooing. Speedie and I are providing our very lovely investor packet to qualified sources and being gently aggressive in our tactics to gain their confidence. And in the meantime we are plowing forward fully expecting that our financial partner is out there - right now - just waiting in the wings. Because if there is one thing the last 12 months have taught me, it is that anything is possible if you want it and are willing to work your ass off for it. Done and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment